Our curriculum is based on three core documents that help us enhance and celebrate each child and is influenced by theories from many early years advocacies – Montessori, High-scope, Reggio, sure start, and in recent times 2020/21, influenced by “ANNA EPHGRAVE” a planning in the moment movement under way in the UK. Predominantly we work with three core documents, namely….
From the UK, that guides us in core areas of development/learning areas such as literacy, creative art, Understanding of the world, Numeracy, physical development, Personal, emotional and social development, language and communications
An Irish framework, that promotes and guides our work in 4 core areas namely: Well Being, exploring and thinking, communication & identity and belonging
From Ireland, it aids our reflective approach across a wide array of standards of excellence
We adopt a play-based approach that follows children’s interests and celebrates their uniqueness. We enhance their learning by celebrating WOW moments and finding teachable moments to enhance learning whilst working in play with the children. Teachers scaffold, differentiate, and model effectively, extending and consolidating development as they interact with the children. We do not limit ourselves to a particular approach or genre, instead, we incorporate elements of best practice from a reflective approach, promoting a reflective culture that places each child’s needs at the centre of what we do.
Our Curriculum Approach
Kickstart’s offers TOPIC PLAY/SCHEMA’s to encourage and foster an exploratory disposition for all the active Kickstarters. Our innovative approach to early years education offers children the opportunity to engage in a new “learning journey” every 2 weeks. Journeys range from the jungle, outer space, Chinese new year, minibeasts, autumn time, and so on. Our classrooms are always set full of exploratory areas of play, in a workshop style. Therefore, children enter a world full of investigating and exploring. We believe this offers the children higher levels of involvement & stimulation, thus aiding their development and preparing them for infants.
Kickstarts curriculums, challenge the children to engage in 8 areas of learning, The 8 areas of learning through play are:
- (fun with…. number rhymes, everyday maths, counting, numbers, shapes, measures, construction, logic….. )
- Literacy & Phonics
- (fun with…. music, rhymes, rhythms, sound discrimination, fine motor skills, mark making, letters & sounds….)
- Language & Communications
- (fun with…speaking & listening, vocab building, language development skills, Drama & role play…. )
- Early Science
- (fun with…investigation e.g push & pull, also tactile & sensory play, water & sand/messy play….)
- PE & Health
- (fun with…spatial awareness, coordination skills, balance, fitness, gross motor skills, dance….)
- Well Being
- (fun with… friendship & sharing, differences & acceptance, health & lifestyle, boundaries & safety…. )
- Creative Art
- (fun with…craft, textures, clay, sculpture, art techniques e.g paint, chalk, etc ….)
- Irish & Languages
- (fun with… everyday songs, rhymes, phrases & games, as well as learning new languages of our friends)
At the academies Kickstart offers 3 LEARNING THROUGH PLAY curriculums for children aged 2 to 5 years
Our youngest partake in our “curious cats curriculum – for children aged 2 years to 3 years (5e per hour, with discounts through NCS funding)
Next is our “Messy Monkey curriculum”, for children aged 3 to 4 years (ECCE 1- free preschool year)
Finally our “Eager Beaver curriculum” for children ages 4 years to 5 years (ECCE 2 – free preschool year)
At the academies, children progress at their own pace, with guiding and nurturing influences from their teacher. Children are recognised as competent individuals, who will lead their own learning through the support of the teacher and enabling environment. With such a wide range of topics and expertise from teachers, your child is guaranteed to progress into infants highly esteemed, confident in his/her own ability, and have a love for lifelong learning.